Tuesday, June 8, 2010

First days in Cambodia

The Royal Palace

Monday 7th
The flight was almost empty (Boeing 777-800). we were 4 rows from the back of the aircraft (anyone who knows me also know that I like to sit as far up the fron as I can) and in our "section" of economy there were only 9 people, number of seats is approx 180. In the forward section of economy there were more, maybe 30 or so. Really good for us, as we could basically sit or stretch out to sleep anywhere. I also knew that there would not be a problem getting what we wanted even though we were so far down the back of plane. Wrong - out of the two choices for lunch no chicken only the beef was left, oh well such is life. Then for "supper" which I guess was early dinner, they had both choices pork and fish, we both asked for Pork, Win got pork I got the fish, just not my day in the food department. Anyway both meals were fine. Not so sure about the wine, it was OK but I am not going to  buy a case, or even a bottle. Could not even decipher what it was, I would guess a chardonnay.

Connection at HCMC to our Phnom Penh flight was excellent, bags had been checked thru, all we needed to
do was seat allocation which was easy, and then had a wait for about an hour to fly for 50 minutes to Phnom Penh, on a 60 seat Aerospatial aircraft (I think), this flight was full, left on time and arrived on time. Woo hoo! the checked in baggage arrived in Phnom Penh along with us. And can you believe as we went out of the airport there was the man with the Travel Indochina sign, and both our names on it (even spelt correctly). On to the Sunway Hotel all good.

Tuesday 8th
Today was a lay day, I don't know why but we arrived here a day before the rest of the tour group, omething to do with the flights I guess, however not a problem as this gave us a chance to have a look around Phnom Penh on our own.

The forecast was for 29 degrees, it was high 30's I am positive. Just like many parts of Asia there are the ever present touts for tuktuks, which really gets to Win. And all the kids selling sunglasses for $3.

So not really too much action, we walked to the river, about 10-15 minutes away, traffic is pretty much like anywhere in Asia no one stops or gives way, pedestrian crossings - why do they waste the paint - are only in minor streets not on the main drags, not that it would have made any difference in crossing the street.

The local beer is cheap, cheapest I saw was 60 cents USD, where we stopped for a breather the local brew was $1.60, and Win's wine was $3.50. You need to try and get USD back as change as well, as they accept USD, and want to give you Cambodian Riel back (for change of .50 I got 400 Riel). Anywhere where it involved a few dollars change I asked for USD.

Tonight we meet the tour leader, and the rest of the group. Wednesday we explore the local sites in Phnom Penh -  Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda, National Museum etc.

Here we see some construction going on, everything was hoisted up or down using a rope on a block & tackle. Note no cordoned off area underneath.
  And one of those famous little bikes loaded to the hilt. I missed shots of the pigs and chickens also being transported the same way
And a shop that you don't see everyday in Australia, well at least not amongst a tourist strip that has many bars and cafe's. The shop trading name Tok Hok Huot Coffin Shop says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment